OK Rotarians - District Governor Leigh has asked us to "Start our Engines"!
It is time to start finalizing our plans for Santiago! Our trip will be much like last year's trip only more latrines plus we have added hand washing stations and water filters.
DG Leigh has created a "Santiago Trip 2014" committee in the District Database. Your interest has been noted and is certainly appreciated. Your name is now included.
Here is what we have along with actions needed on your part:
Information files -
There are two files attached below for your review.
We leave RDU on Saturday, January 25th. We return from Santiago Saturday, February 1st. If anyone want to arrive early or depart later, let us know so we can coordinate accordingly.
Make your own flight reservations. Here are the recommended flights that will help the ground transportation logistics. Also the Dominicans will be planning coordination greetings for our arrival. Our return flights would be best if we did not impose on them as well. Our destination city is Santiago, Dominican Republic (STI).
For other flight arrangements:
o The target arrival time is 8:45PM.
o The target departure time is 8:45AM.
Suggested Flight Possibilities ($500 to $600 range):
RDU to STI American 124 & 2365 Jan 25th Saturday 1:05PM - 8:45PM
STI to RDU American 1306 & 1541 Feb 1st Saturday 8:45AM - 7:15PM
RDU to STI JetBlue 886 & 937 Jan 25th Saturday 10:10AM - 8:38PM
STI to RDU JetBlue 924 & 1083 Feb 1st Saturday 4:24AM - 1:12PM *early
any other flights in these timeframes
This year we have a larger group. Since there are only so many Dominican Rotarians that have space in their home, they will be setting some of us in a local hotel / breakfast arrangement. Also a local training center dorm could be used. All of these options will be in Santiago proper. Room selections will be made later. If you have a preference, let George Harry know.
Information Needed - (email to George Harry - firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Your Flight information
- Copy of your current passport
- Your emergency contact information
- Shirt size and $15/team work shirt
Send your $250 Deposit to "George Harry" by October 31st. The Dominican Rotarians are making the arrangements. They will advise us of any additional money needed (maybe $150).
George G Harry
103 Waterloo Station Drive
Cary, NC 27513
Clothing suggestions -
- Work - tee shirt, blue jeans, hat, gloves, boots or work shoes, nail apron, sun &/or safety glasses
- Nights - polo shirts, khaki pants
- Bring a swim suit (just in case)
- We will start work at 8AM and finish up around 5PM (Mon - Fri).
- We will probably attend 1 or 2 Rotary evening meetings. (bring 2 of your club banners)
- Sunday will consist of tours, gathering & cook out.
- There may be one free night and a free afternoon (depending on our progress).
- Tools will be provided by the Dominicans. If needed we can purchase some at a local hardware.
- CDC recommendations for Dominican Republic can be found on the internet. Our afternoons and nights will be in urban settings that have minimal mosquito exposure. During the day we will be in rural settings.
- Our singing abilities will be tested again, so Liz will attempt to teach us once again.